Saturday, March 10, 2012

Going Viral



Before this winter, I walked around with a smug sense of satisfaction. I had chosen not to send my son to preschool. I watched all my neighbors and friends go through rounds and rounds of colds and viruses while we would have a only a few here and there. It was pretty great. But this year, Addison is in preschool, I am in the classroom and we have never been more sick. I wouldn't have it any other way, mind you. Preschool has been wonderful. But man, I long to feel healthy again! Addison has had cold after cold after cold. He was sick all winter break with an ear infection and just when I thought the worst was over, a 24 hour bug touched down. There was a fever and an upset tummy. Addison asked to go lie down in bed in the middle of the day and that is when I knew he was really feeling sick! I had my phone nearby and my glucagon handy but he managed to keep everything down and had juice and ice cream sandwiches and popcorn during the day to keep his blood sugars from plummeting. The next day he woke up and sprang into action. No fever, no belly trouble..back to normal. Well, all except his blood sugars. After a bowl of instant oats, which usually results in a large post breakfast spike, Dexie was 124 arrow slightly down. A finger check showed 54. He hasn't had a blood sugar below 65 in a very long time. 20 uncovered carbs later, he was hovering at 100. The rest of the day was spent chasing lows and hardly bolusing for food. This was the first time we had seen what many of you have talked about..a post- virus reduction in insulin needs. I have heard mention that that the body has a harder time absorbing carbs after a stomach virus and it can take up to 3 weeks to return back to normal. I don't know if this is what has happened to Addison but it sure seems like it might be the case. It is kind of wacky!


The past few nights have been extremely grumpy ones. Grumpy for me that is.  Addison sleeping between my husband and I, the CGM beeping us awake every half an hour, alerting us that Addison is teetering on the edge of a low. It is kind of like having a newborn all over again. No one tells you that when your soon to be toddler is diagnosed with T1D that the light just went out at the end of tunnel of full nights of sleep. For the parents anyway. Addison sleeps through pretty much everything. I remember when I came to the realization that I wouldn't be sleeping through the night for years to come and tears just streamed down my face. Now I just get grumpy. You know how that is right? Middle of the night, feeling all around under the pillows and sheets to find the CGM, fumbling with the test strips and the meter, prying a little hand out from under a head to get a drop of blood. Having to use your critical thinking skills in the wee-bleary-eyed-hours of the morning.  We have resorted to "rage temporary basals" the past couple of nights and that never ends up well either but at least we get in a couple of hours of sleep without low alerts! The CGM graph, as a result, looks like a crazy roller coaster ride.

We will spend the next few days checking and calculating and tweaking and I hope we get the night time issues sorted out sooner rather than later. I need some sleep. My husband was surprised when I drank almost a whole large french press of coffee myself before he got up a couple of mornings ago.  It isn't really the best idea to be strung out on no sleep AND coffee. Good parenting goes out the out window and fast. Spring, good weather and health...I hope you land on our doorstep soon!




9 comments:

muffinmoon said...

Ah, Jen, I so feel for you. We are still relieved to be out of the school system but there is a bad sickness bug going around town and we'll be lucky to escape it, I think. You are doing well. Wean yourself off that coffee, it's a temptress for sure but will let you down! I know this from bitter (but tasty) experience!! Love and hugs.

Joanne said...

going through an illness with Elise right now. It sucks. Nothing worse than throwing up + low BG + ketones - CGM = no sleep.

Reyna said...

Oh BOY! I so, so, so know that post GI Bug decreased carb absorption bit. It SUCKS!!! Thinking of you Jen...and hoping you get some sleep soon. xo

Sarah said...

oh me too Jen...spring, good weather and good health sound wonderful. Glad your little buddy is felling better now, but man what a few days you must have had, I hope this is the only one tough one for you guys. Take care ((HUGS))

shannon said...

oh man i could so relate to your mention of feeling zombie like from lack of sleep and making questionable decisions because of it. MAN!

hope things get back to normal asap!

Kristin said...

That's tough - it sucks when it feels like bug after bug, and you don't get a chance to catch your breath. Glad you didn't have to use the glucagon, and hope things get better soon!

Teacher Tom said...

A few years ago, a family needed the co-op to provide a "mission statement" in order to receive matching funds. We don't have a mission statement, so I said to put down: "Expose young children to as many childhood illnesses as possible before kindergarten." She did and we got our funds.

It's nice to learn we continue to achieve our mission.

Teacher Tom said...

Oh, and the longer you're in school, the stronger your immune system. I'm knocking on wood as I write this, but I work in a pit of germs and haven't caught a thing this year.

Jen said...

A few years ago, a family needed the co-op to provide a "mission statement" in order to receive matching funds. We don't have a mission statement, so I said to put down: "Expose young children to as many childhood illnesses as possible before kindergarten." She did and we got our funds.

It's nice to learn we continue to achieve our mission.

From Teacher Tom - somehow cut and paste was the only way I could publish this comment!!