Monday, March 26, 2012

365:302 Sitting Idle

I sat idle today reading a book. It was Young Adult fiction mind you, about all I can wrap my fuzzy brain around nowadays. I sat idle reading said book while my son was across the hall in another room. I handed over his supplies to another parent at the Co-op and let her know when to give him a check. As I sat reading my book a text popped up on my phone. 168. Nice.
I was only in the other room but it felt like a huge victory. I gave up the supplies, told Addison that the other parent would check his blood sugar and that he should go to her if anything was buzzing or beeping from Dexie or the pump or if he felt funny.

About a month ago, I trained several parents at the co-op on how to check Addison's blood sugars, treat a low and use glucagon if necessary. I made a binder with all the info about his equipment, his target range of blood sugars, treating lows, using glucagon, etc. We met during school and I started with the glucagon figuring if they could get through the worse case scenario, the rest is slightly less daunting? I am not sure that was the case but they were awesome for sticking with it. I am so grateful for all the parents who volunteered and for others who are still offering to learn. The goal for me at school is to have a day where, after snack, I can step out of school and go have a coffee down the street. Such a normal thing for most but for me a great luxury. Since the training a month ago we have been sick or others at school have been sick and I filled in as a working parent . The training happened but then we didn't move forward. Today though we moved forward and it felt good. Coffee shop here I come....


9 comments:

muffinmoon said...

Wow, what an achievement! I truly understand how much this means. Andrew and I went seimming last week, just for one hour, and left our friend armed with juice and Frank and some board games. The pool is only a five minute drive away and in truth I didn't really relax. But I was swimming. It felt good. The beginnings of something. Please,please post a picture of tht momentous coffee when you have it! And love the socks, by the way!!

Kristin said...

That is AWESOME! It's amazing what people can learn if willing. I love that parents with no immediate connection would be willing to learn. Great that our kids can know they're safe with others as well. So glad you get a break, too!

Sarah said...

Jen, this is inspiring for me. I am finding myself so incredibly anxious about the idea of Isaac being left alone in a school setting - you just reminded me that he won't be alone, there will be an army of well trained helpful people there, I just need to step out and sign him up for school first :) Have a lovely trip to the coffee shop, hopefully sometime soon!

Arthea Strongin said...

Jen, I am so proud of you to be able to allow someone you trust to take over just for even a small amount of time and allow yourself a moment to relax and have a cup of coffee. Of course, knowing you, I am sure this was a big stepping stone for you. You are such an incredible, brave, loving parent and person and I am always amazed at how well you are dealing with Addison's diabetes. I love you both so much and often wonder if I could handle things as well as you do. You are quite a brave person, parent and daughter.
I love you, Mom

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

WooHoo!! It's amazing how daunting those baby steps can be. Here's to a yummy latte! :)

The Diabetic Camper said...

How did you teach the others to use the glucagon injection? A few times people should have stuck me with mine they got scared and just hoped that cramming a bunch of cookies in my mouth would work. Luckily it did but sometimes I would just like for them to use the injection and lets not have this mouth full of cookie business any more.

Amy said...

Love you socks, and I Love, lOve, loVe, lovE the story of bravery.

shannon said...

so so so awesome. awesome. JUST, AWESOME! :D

shannon said...

ps, as to the question of training people how to use glucagon, we usually use our expired kits on oranges.