Thursday, March 22, 2012

365:301 Wednesday Bloody Wednesday

We have yet to experience a true "gusher" but last nights site change was an unusual bleeder. My intention was to only change Dexie out..it had been 14 days and the ol' triple question marks were starting to appear. When I removed Dexie and looked at Addison's bottom, it seemed like it might be a good time to switch sides. His pump site was just about due to be changed out anyway. So I removed his pump site  and was completely surprised. The site looked bruised and bloody. The canula was filled with blood. Addison made me take a picture of it so he could see it. I chose not to put that photo up..it looked pretty awful. And it wouldn't stop oozing blood. In these moments, I really have to buck up and play up my curiosity. My first instinct is to look away, repulsed. Instead, I probably over-talk the situation. I play up how interesting it is, what color it is, how it looks like a big hole, how I wonder how that may have happened. I never want Addison to be worried or feel scared about looking after himself. After applying pressure for a while, it finally stopped and we soldiered on, inserting two new sites. 

3 comments:

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

We've only had a couple of 'bleeders' and they both totally caught me off guard. It's tough to not react to a large amount of blood like that! For Bean's sake, I try to just keep it at 'Oh, look at that. Huh. Keep a tissue on it, please.' Otherwise she'd probably go into full freak out.
Love the way you talk about it with Addison...great way to build that curious mind he has!

muffinmoon said...

Jen, you hit the nail on the head with the "buck up" bit. We've only had one or two bleeders in a year but they freak me out and I consider myslef kind of used to the sight of blood by now. It just shows me how much we are creatures of routine. Anything new amd I am a total wuss.

Sarah said...

I love how you handled this situation, Addison is learning so much from you on how to handle his body even when the unexpected occur. Take care :) Hopefully no more bleeders in the near future either!