Tuesday, March 20, 2012

365:300 I Am A Scientist

There are always things that you don't plan for/expect with D. It is just how things go. While in the midst of our good friends "Weird Science Party" there was a moment where I thought Addison might have to opt out of a really exciting experiment thanks to to D. Our science guide Mike was talking about electricity and called for volunteers to stand up and put their hands on the metal orb above to get charged up with electrical current. Addison is not shy and is often the first one to put up a hand and volunteer and this time was no exception. I was ready to send him up there and my friend questioned if it was ok for him to be in contact with the electricity because of his pump and CGM. Ah..crap! Why wasn't I the first one to think of that?! When I asked Mike, he said they don't allow people with pacemakers to do this so doing it with the pump on seemed out of the question. "I can just take it off!"  I told Addison. Then it occurred to me that the CGM had the metal wire under his skin plus the transmitter attached. I hesitated. We let another child go ahead while we sorted out our business. I wasn't expecting this. It took my brain a few seconds to problem solve. In the end, we took off the pump, CGM and the transmitter. I sat with his pile of equipment while he thoroughly enjoyed getting charged up...It all worked out in the end. It just took a little extra sorting out time...




6 comments:

Sarah said...

He is an amazing scientist, and so are you! We were told that Isaac should remove his pump and CGM when doing things like jumping on the trampoline or doing the bounce house...we never have, with no problems...but again, maybe taking the risks wouldn't be worth it if it meant him getting harmed, we just figured it might hurt the equipment, which is under warranty even if being used on a trampoline :)
PS that sounds like an awesome party!

Amy said...

You are such a good Mama. Addison is one lucky boy

Denise aka Mom of Bean said...

So glad Addison got to participate. LOVE the static machine! :)

We had to remove Bean's pod and CGM the other day, but for an MRI...not as fun!!

shannon said...

the smile on his face says it all! i would have removed my daughter's pump but might have forgotten about the metal in the cgm. i'm so glad you thought about that as well. better safe than sorry.

muffinmoon said...

Wow, you thought it through more than I would have. I'd have removed the pump but forgotten the rest. It's hard when we spud around being all calm and matter-of-fact about the D and then find ourselves thrown by a new situation. And, by the by, my Moleskine Seattle notebook arrived. I am planning/dreaming!

childhood anxiety treatment said...

He is lucky enough to have you.

I just reminded of the cartoon movie "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". lol


Raquel